Health Resources for Parents & Students

    ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​Learn about the health room staff and health services provided through our school district.​


 {a1474b88-e943-4771-be13-3b8882c5fdd4}<h2><strong>Role of the School Nurse</strong><br></h2><div><br></div><div>School Nurse Consultants develop health care plans to ensure the safety of students with significant health concerns, ensure immunizations are compliant with State law, assist with screenings and provide overall health guidance at school.  School Nurses are also an integral part of the Special Education Team and are responsible for a portion of the Individual Education Plan (IEP) that pertains to the students' health and participates in developing IEP accommodations related to health needs.  This includes the responsibility for students needing 504 plans written in accordance with Section 504 of the Americans with Disabilities Act for a medical reason.  </div><div><br></div><div>The goal of the School Nurse Consultant is to work closely with parents, health care providers, school staff and others to coordinate the health care of the student and the school community. School Nurses also provide direct health services to students and as needed, train and delegate to unlicensed personnel who work with students identified as having complex medical needs.</div>  <br><div><h2><strong>Role of the Health Room Staff</strong><br></h2><br>All schools have a Health Room staff person who carries out health-related duties during the day.  Other office staff members help fill this role in their absence.  The Health Services Department provides oversight of Health Room staff and other unlicensed school personnel who are trained to respond to the immediate health needs of students.  Typically, Health Room staff and other staff members are not medical professionals. <br></div><div> </div><p>Please contact your school nurse or health room if you have questions or if your student has health needs.  You can also visit the <a href="" target="_blank">BVSD Health Services Parent and Student Health Resources</a> page for information about immunizations, medications, health forms and other district health policies.<br>​​<br></p>



    Lynn Kellenberger{2aa251ca-afa5-491c-818c-f8092c48d72f}Lynn KellenbergerHealth Room Para-professionalGP0|#c76a9110-4108-40bd-91e8-4d8fa5e7f612;L0|#0c76a9110-4108-40bd-91e8-4d8fa5e7f612|Health Room;GTSet|#047c81e0-37dc-4eae-934f-e677abc2b456;GPP|#a2b06d31-c461-4bcb-b12b-273c96e77b9b;GPP|#6ad9fbb3-bf89-49b8-9e36-ddd3131d80d6;GPP|#4d055820-42d8-4f9b-843d-27bc329df1ff720-561-4608lynn.kellenberger@bvsd.orgA11 - Health Room

     Schoolhouse Letter Health Information

     Guidelines for When to Keep Your Child Out of School

     Medications in School

    ​In the Boulder Valley School District, the following guidelines are in place to provide for the safety of all students. Keep in mind that most staff who administer medications to students are non-medical people working under the supervision of a nurse.  Please call our school’s Health Room Paraprofessional at (720-561-4600) or the District Health Services Office (720-561-5544) with any questions regarding the medication procedures.

    Boulder Valley students may receive medications at school according to the following procedure...  

    • Medications are not to be in the personal possession of students.
    • For all prescription and non-prescription medications, a student’s parent or guardian shall make a written request for school personnel to administer medications by providing the completed Medication Administration Authorization form, which is to be signed by both a parent and physician. A new Authorization form must be signed and submitted for each new prescription medication or each dosage change. These forms are available in the school’s Health Room. Completed forms can be faxed to the school. Authorization forms must be completed each year
    • Medications should always be delivered to the Health Room staff or office staff by an adult.
    • The student must report to the Health Room or school office to take medications. EXCEPTION: Any student who requires the use of an inhaler or EpiPen may carry and self-administer the prescribed medication if the physician signs a specific statement on the Medication Administration Authorization form, endorsing the student’s capability for this.
    • Prescription medication supplied by the student’s parents or guardian must be in a properly labeled bottle dispensed by a pharmacy.
    • Non-prescription, “as needed” medications must be in the original labeled container. The bottle should also be labeled with the student’s name.
    • A photograph of the student should be attached to the completed authorization form. It is the parents’ responsibility to supply a current picture (or clear copy) to the Health room staff person.
    • It is the responsibility of the parent to obtain all unused medication from the school when the medication is discontinued, the school year ends, or the student transfers to another school. At the end of a school year, school staff will dispose of all unclaimed medications.
    Parents may always come to school and administer medication to their child.

    In order for your child to receive medication at school, this form must be filled out completely by both health care provider and parent.  A new form must be completed each school year!! 

    Medication Administration Authorization Form

    For additional information, contact